Wednesday 14 March 2007

Past Habitual

12.03.07

We are back and still without you. We said goodbye to you on Thursday 8th March.


There is some irony as I am sure you will remember the significance of the date: International Women’s Day! Well done that man! Not only did you have two funerals – after a fashion – but you did it on the day when all women are remembered! Excellent, really, as your life was marked by women and your closeness to them; your wonderful sisters and mother and the estranged wife you left behind. And me, I hope.

I am experiencing flashes of anger now John. I am struggling to understand how you could leave us knowing how much we all loved you and how much pain it would cause us to be without you and then to come to terms with this loss.

We are beginning to talk in the past habitual – that means we say “used to” as opposed to does. For a habit or action which occurred in the past – John used to say, John used to laugh at, John used to. I have taught this small piece of lexical grammar thousands of times, so once again your timeless irony and sense of humour seems more that appropriate! As you would say, you can't fool a linguist.

No comments: